An eventful year for India again in 2017, here are the main highlights.
- India inaugurated its First Ayurveda Institute giving standards to this 5000-year-old practice.
- India launched its biggest tax reform in 70 years of independence : the Goods and Services Tax.
- ISRO launched PSLV-C37 rocket which put into orbit a record 104 satellites from seven countries.
- India and Japan signed an agreement for India’s first Bullet Train project in Ahmedabad.
- India hosted FIFA U-17 World Cup, highlighting the country’s growing interest for football.
- From bank accounts to insurance and more, Aadhaar identification card has become mandatory . After much debate on the question of privacy, Supreme Court declares Right to Privacy a fundamental right.
- Mirabai Chanu wins gold in 2017 world weightlifting championship held in USA.
- Ram Nath Kovind becomes 14th President of India.
- Dalveer Bandhari, an Indian judge is elected to International Court of Justice for the first time.
- Supreme Court bans instant triple talaq calling it unconstitutional. Triple talaq is when a Muslim man could legally divorce his wife by pronouncing talaq three times.
- Ahmedabad becomes first UNESCO world heritage city in India.
- Supreme Court suspends government’s ban on sale of cows for slaughter. The issue had provoked a wave of attacks on Muslims.
- India retains top spot in international test cricket rankings (ICC).
- India and China agree to end border stand off in Doklam as both nations withdrew their armies from the disputed region.
- Dangal becomes the first Indian film to gross over INR 20 billion (Eur 270 million) in worldwide ticket sales.
- Famous cricketer Virat Kholi and Bollywood actress Anushka Sharma tie the knot.
- India won 2017 Hockey women’s Asia cup held in Japan by beating China in final by 5-4 (1-1).
- India successfully launches Agni 4 ICBM with nuclear weapons carrying capacity.
- Manushi Chhillar wins Miss World 2017 and becomes the 6th Miss World from India.
Clement Chauvet talks about labour force participation
Fighting violence against women in India
The journey from street to school
A road trip for a cause
More than 35 pc students are girls
NGO Sulabh International a beacon of hope for villagers in West Bengal
A man with a mission, reaching out through Calcutta Rescue