Recipe guide to a vegetarian version of kebabs
Experimenting with bitter gourd and cheese
Traditionally a non-vegetarian savoury, kebabs have interesting vegetarian versions also. This one is made with bitter gourd and cheese. Follow this simple recipe to make Karele ke Shammi, a healthy version of kebabs curated at Chutney Bar+ Tandoor, the pan-Indian restaurant at The Metropolitan Hotel and Spa in Delhi.
Karele ki Shammi
- Karela -fresh 500g
- Roasted channa powder 100g
- Gram masala 10g
- Chat masala 10g
- Roasted cumin powder 5g
- Salt to taste
- Red chili powder 2g
- Grated cheese 20g
- Desi ghee for cooking 30g
- Take karela or bitter gourd, wash it properly and cut into small pieces. Scrape out the seeds and soak karela in salted water for an hour.
- After this, boil karela until cooked properly. Take it out and keep aside for cooling; and then grind it.
- Mix the ground material with spices and roasted chickpea flour to prepare a dough.
- Take small portions of dough, stuff them with grated cheese and roll into kebabs.
- Heat desi ghee or clarified butter in a pan and grill the kebabs until golden-brown
- Remove from heat and serve with a sweet chutney or sauce.